Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sgt.SMOKES

     My newest novelty item. The butts are real for now untill I can figure out a way to make fake ones. ( but I will always have the 'real action' ones because that was really the whole idea )

      Like most of the novelty items I come up with I really get excited about designing the right kind of package  and making the design fit into a certain era. I had the idea 4 years ago and started to collect butts for it. I was waiting on creating the art because I was waiting to find that classic image I had in my head of the teeth-clenched seargent with the broken dangling cigarette in his lips, but could never find one. So I finally bit the bullet and just drew it myself. I was planning to ink the drawing traditionally, but for the heck of it I tried to see how it would look if I drew out the black inks on the computer in Adobe Illustrator with my mouse.(Its all outline vectors) It happened really fast. The lettering is Dom Casual and the colors kinda instantaneously appeared. I think I captured that cheap toy plastic dollar store (drug store in the old days) look.  I am really happy with how it all came together though I've only been able to make two packages so far as it's hard to find good butts these days.  
Soon available at the NAKFACTORIUM on my website.